Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Aquavision Comes to Astoria

Our apartment just got a bit midcentury modern with the addition of our new sofa from Urban Outfitters. I've been in the market for a stylish couch for a few months now, and while the quality of this company's furniture is questionable according to some reviews I've read, the piece was decently priced and modeled in exactly the type of 50s and/or 60s-era look I've come to adore. According to Urban's Web site, the couch was inspired by vintage Danish modern daybeds.



The fact that the frame features an eco-friendly wood also appealed to me. Initially, I wanted the "groovy green" color fabric on the cushions, but this subtle gray-blue hue slowly worked its way into my favor during the months of debating whether to even get a new couch.

As a renter, I find myself constantly treading the line between wanting to nest and express a personal style, and simultaneously, save money and not invest too much in a place that I don't own. All of the HGTV watching and comparisons don't help; neither does reading magazines like Where Women Create.

The inundation of visual stimulation and nesting ideas has me daydreaming of working in an studio near a scenic outlook, with worn white, green and blue wood walls. The birds would be able to roam around a screened aviary attached to the workspace, and I could pull in a deep breath scented with leaves, earth and clear skies. (Lately, I've only been able to inhale through my nose in the city when I'm in a park).

Perhaps, someday I'll have the homestead that now lives in my head. There's plenty of time to achieve that goal, and knowing me, I may be into a totally different aesthetic by that point. I'm looking forward to the journey, and I just have to remind myself to live in this moment, and live each day (and crazy night) in this city to its fullest.

I did manage to bring a bit of an aged country look into the apartment the other day with the adoption of a small chest of drawers in a faded cream and green combination. Photos to come.

Also, current contemplating bringing some jewelry at a local flea market on Saturday.

No comments: