Thursday, November 15, 2007

Kakapo: Real Unicorns

Last night I had one of those "life is awesome and yet tragic" moments while trying to choose a delicious silk screen print from artist Eleanor Grosch of Pushmepullyou Design.



Mark and I stumbled across this print, and he immediately pointed out the creature looked like our own little green parrot. I thought "kakapo" was just a made-up term, until we looked closer and saw a link that gave us a glimpse into the world of this adorable but extremely endangered (the tragic part) species.


(Photo courtesy of www.boppoly.ac.nz)

There's only about 86 of these "owl parrots" left in its native home of New Zealand. The birds are nocturnal and heavy, which makes them unique in the psitta (parrot) world. They also can't fly, have a specific musty odor and are seemingly very trusting animals. As far as I can tell, their decline in number has been due to hunting by local tribes and predators for food.

Needless to say, I'm in love with this fuzzy, almost-mythical creature of the night and I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of Eleanor's print-- the proceeds of which all went directly toward an organization working for Kakapo recovery. I highly suggest you look up "Kakapo" on YouTube.com to find some of the cutest clips I've seen yet. Honestly, how is so much fuzz-wonderfulness (totally a word) even allowed in one creature? Lookit those doe-y eyes and feathery face tufts!

I also felt great about purchasing from Eleanor not only because she is an animal lover like myself, but she is also environmentally conscious about the materials she uses to produce her pieces. The work itself exhibits a simple but bold aesthetic; colorful, geometrically shaped animals are contrasted with richly backgrounds-- my favorite! Pushmepullyou Design additionally carries wearables like T-shirts and dishware such as mugs.

Definitely visit Eleanor and the lovely Kakapo to sign up for some eye candy and a worthy cause.

2 comments:

bekibutton said...

Hey just wanted to say thanks for pointing me in the direction of this cool print! I've added it to my Christmas list :)

Kakapos are definitely full of 'fuzz-wonderfulness', it's a great way of describing them and I agree the YouTube videos are the height of cuteness!

PS I love your jewellery :)

Adorned by Morgan said...

Thanks, Becki! I'm so glad-- Eleanor has done such a great job making others aware about this adorable creature, I'm so happy to know I've passed on some of that awareness!

Thanks also for the lovely comment about my jewelry.

All the best,

Rachel